The following instructions are generalized pre-operative instructions for our patients. Please contact your physician’s medical assistant to obtain detailed pre-operative information.
- Please schedule a pre-op medical clearance exam with your primary care provider. Please bring the pre-op testing form to your doctor’s office and have them fax their report and results directly to the surgery center/hospital as well as our office.
- If you are a healthy individual with no underlying medical conditions as determined by a physician, you will require only a history and physical to be performed by your primary care provider within 30 days of your surgery.
- If you are a medically managed patient or have underlying medical conditions as determined by a physician, you will require testing in addition to a history and physical. The additional testing required will be noted on your pre-op testing form; please provide this form to the physician performing the tests.
- Please call our office to arrange a post-operative appointment with your physician. Your physician’s medical assistant will inform you of the time frame following surgery that this office visit should be within. Please be sure to make this appointment prior to your surgery.
- You will be notified if post-operative physical therapy will be necessary. If so, please make these appointments ahead of time as well.
- In some circumstances, you may prefer to arrange additional assistance at home for a brief period after your surgery. For this, we recommend contacting Capital City Nurses.
- If you require a cold therapy unit post-operatively, be sure that arrangements for delivery of the unit are made prior to surgery. If you are having shoulder surgery, please bring a comfortable, loose-fitting t-shirt on the day of surgery to accommodate the cold-therapy unit.
- Discontinue aspirin, aspirin-based products, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS, which include, but are not limited to, ibuprofen, Daypro, Excedrin, and Naproxen) 7-10 days prior to surgery. Tylenol may be taken if necessary.
- A responsible adult must accompany you from the surgical facility. You will not be allowed to leave unaccompanied after your surgery.
- Do not eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight prior to surgery. Failure to comply may result in a cancelled surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to your surgery. If possible, leave all jewelry and valuables at home.
- Please arrive 2-3 hours prior to surgery to allow sufficient time for registration and surgical preparation. Arrival time may be confirmed with your doctor’s medical assistant.
Bethesda Chevy Chase Surgery Center
6931 Arlington Rd. Suite E
Bethesda, MD 20815
Sibley Memorial Hospital
5255 Loughboro Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Harborside Surgery Center
125 Potomac Passage
Oxon Hill, MD 20745
Massachusetts Avenue Surgery Center
6400 Goldsboro Rd.
Bethesda, MD 20817