What is a knee replacement?
A total knee replacement is a surgical procedure to replace the damaged cartilage of the knee joint in order to reduce pain and increase mobility. The ends of the femur (thigh bone) and the tibia (shin bone) are trimmed away with the diseased cartilage and a highly polished metal and hard plastic implant are fixed into place.
Am I a good candidate for a knee replacement?
You are a good candidate for a knee replacement if:
- Your knee pain interferes with your normal, routine activities
- Physical therapy and conservative management have not helped to control your knee pain
- You have imaging findings demonstrating significant cartilage loss or damage or advanced osteonecrosis, a condition caused by abnormal blood flow to the cartilage
What are the benefits of a total knee replacement?
A total knee replacement provides the following benefits:
- Alleviation of your knee pain and increased mobility of the knee
- Return to your normal, everyday activities
- Involvement in limited sports activities such as golf, tennis and walking
What can I expect from knee replacement surgery?
- A complete pre-operative workup that will focus on preparing you for knee replacement
- One to two hour surgery time
- One to three night stay in the hospital, with physical therapy beginning the day following surgery
- A comprehensive pain management protocol, reducing your dependence on pain medication day by day
- Return to basic daily activities within 2-3 weeks
- Return to relatively normal activities by 2-3 months
Please call us for an appointment at 202-787-5601.
Learn more about:
- Patient Information: billing questions, office policies, preparing for surgery
- Physical Therapy: we provide a comprehensive PT practice
Doctors listed on this page: