MRI, or magnetic resonance imaging, is a safe, non-invasive method of producing high-contrast images of soft tissue structures within the body. While these scans generally require you to physically be positioned in the scanner for about 40-45 minutes, we suggest that you allow at least 75-90 minutes for your appointment. Scans of certain body parts may require a longer appointment; you will be informed of the estimated time of appointment when scheduling.
What to Expect
- Our MRI technician will go through a safety screening questionnaire with you prior to your scan.
- Common contraindications for undergoing a MRI scan include pacemakers, lead wires, or any other surgically implanted device that uses radiofrequency fields or electricity.
- Certain implants may also be contraindicated depending on when the implant was placed and what the implant is composed of. You will be required to remove anything metal or magnetically sensitive.
- On the day of your MRI, we recommend that you wear loose, comfortable clothing. You will be provided with a private changing area. We do not allow jeans or any clothing with metal zippers or rivets in the MRI environment.
- For lower extremity scans, cloth/fabric shorts are preferred. For elbow, wrist, and hand scans, please wear short sleeve shirts.
- For shoulder MRIs, please wear a sleeveless shirt if possible.
- We provide exam shirts and shorts in the office if needed
- No special diet is necessary prior to the MRI